Friday, June 8, 2012

Nomads

It’s hard to believe that it’s been almost a week since we became “homeless”. After 4 moving sales and a truckload full of stuff going to a local thrift store, everything we now own fits into a small storage unit or the trunk of our car.

The 5x5 storage unit that now holds all our worldly possessions.

Last Saturday evening, we locked the door to our home in Lawrenceville for the last time, said goodbye to our neighbors, and hit the road to Birmingham. We stayed there overnight and on Sunday morning we were able to visit The Church at Brook Hills, where David Platt (author of the book, Radical) is senior pastor.

Our family at The Church at Brook Hills.

Maybe it was the exhaustion, but I found myself overcome with emotion during worship as the reality of what we had done began to set in. We no longer have a place to call “home”. For my whole life, home has been a refuge – the one place of safety and comfort I had when the world was crashing down around me. Now God alone has to be that place. This verse suddenly became deeply personal - This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him. (Ps. 91:2 NLT)
After church, we headed south towards the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, where we spent the night. We were able to spend all day Monday at the beach, soaking up the sun and surf! It was so nice to take a break after all the sorting and packing we have done over the last 6 weeks!

The view from our beach chairs!

Tuesday morning, we headed west and spent the whole day in the car. Late that night, we arrived in Giddings, TX, where my cousin, Summer, and her family live. They have opened up their home up to us for a week, which is such a blessing. It has been wonderful to see them all again and meet their new son, Phillip Ray, who was born on Valentine's Day.

 At church on Wednesday night, we met their pastor and he did an impromptu video with us that will be shown in their Sunday morning service. That was an unexpected surprise! We look forward to worshipping with their church family on Sunday.

Thanks for all the prayers during our travel time! More updates to come soon! 

No comments: