Friday, January 20, 2012

While I'm Waiting

I'm sure you've probably heard it said that God's timing is not our timing. As Stephen and I work on raising our missions support so we can get to the field, we are definitely finding this true. However, the Lord has really been speaking to me through this experience that it's not just about accepting God's perfect timing, but also what you do in the meantime.

It would be really easy for me to just get frustrated that things are not moving along in the timeframe that I would like. In fact, there have been more than a few days like that over the last couple of years. I know God's timing is perfect and everything, but that doesn't mean I have to like it! But one thing I tend to forget is that God is more concerned that when I arrive in Italy, I am equipped for what's next, than just getting me there. The Lord is using the journey itself to help equip me for the destination, but I also feel Him saying that there are some things that I should be doing to prepare while I'm waiting.

2 Timothy 2:15 (NLT) says, "Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth." The King James version says "study to show thyself approved". Part of my job as a missionary will be to "correctly explain the word of truth", so shouldn't I use the time before I leave to study the Word to more fully understand what it says? With that in mind, I have found an online Bible college that is helping me do that on my own time. Stephen and I are also looking into some options for getting trained in evangelism and leadership before we depart.

Another thing I've discovered during this waiting time is that it has become too easy to withdraw from ministry. As full-time church staff, Stephen and I spent most of our time working and serving in our church and the apartment ministry we were a part of. When we begin to move farther along in the process of raising our support, it became necessary to lay down some of the ministry activities we were doing to free up our time to fundraise. The temptation with that is to stop doing any ministry here to focus on the future ministry. I mean, God called us to reach Italians, so we're off the hook in Atlanta, right? 

Wrong. The mandate to go and make disciples applies to me no matter where I am. The challenge comes in being available to minister here and now, while also being faithful to move forward in what God is calling us to in the future. So, we have been praying for ministry opportunities that we can be involved in while we're waiting that will allow us the time to continue raising support. In response, the Lord has provided a chance for Stephen and I to serve on a worship team for a ministry at our church. Also, I am looking into the possibility of volunteering with ESL ministries at a couple of other churches. Not only will these opportunities allow us to reach lost and hurting people where we live now, but they will also equip us for the ministry we will do in Italy.

Lastly, I feel the Lord saying that I need to prepare for the eventuality of departure. The process of getting to the mission field is a little like pregnancy. You know that the big day is coming and you have a general idea of the timeline, but you can never be exactly sure when the blessed event is going to happen. The only thing you can do is prepare as best you can and then wait patiently.

But what would happen if an expectant mother didn't prepare for the baby to arrive? What if she didn't set up the nursery or have any clothes or blankets available? What if she didn't buy diapers, wipes, bottles, etc? When her beautiful, little bundle arrives, there will be a flurry of activity and stress while she scrambles to provide for the baby's needs.

In the same way, there are many things we need to do to get ready for our departure. Even though we don't know exactly when that day will come, we know that IT WILL HAPPEN! So I plan to strategically begin doing things to prepare for it, like gathering documents needed for our visa application, cleaning out closets, and starting to pack for shipment things we don't need before we leave. Then we won't be left with so many things to do at the last minute. Plus, it gives me something to focus on while I'm waiting on God's perfect timing!

One of the songs that has ministered to me the most during this time is "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller. The words are:

Verse 1
I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

Verse 2
I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

Chorus
I will move ahead,
bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

This is my prayer! Even though it's hard to wait and sometimes it's painful, I will move ahead in obedience and continue to serve God in the meantime. And when I get to the place God has called me to, I will be all the more prepared because of it.

No comments: