Monday, October 31, 2011

To Halloween or Not to Halloween?

I just watched a video of a pastor talking about why Christians should not participate in Halloween. He had done a lot of research, had searched the Scriptures, and had made the decision that his family would not celebrate Halloween. I greatly respect the fact that He took time to do the research and had prayerfully made a decision that he thought was best for his family. I know that many other Christians have come to the same decision.

While I know that this can be a controversial subject, I have to wonder if we, as Christians, are missing something. I certainly do not claim to have all the answers, but instead of just choosing either to participate in or to boycott Halloween, maybe there's another option.

Why not use the opportunity of Halloween to share the Gospel with your neighbors? What other holiday brings people of all backgrounds to your door asking for a "treat"? Or, is there any other time of the year that can you knock on your neighbor's door, expecting something from them, and be welcomed?

1 Cor. 9:22-23 says, "...I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." Instead of insulating ourselves in the Christian "bubble" so that we are not affected by the evil, why don't we burst the bubble so that the evil is affected by us?

What if Christians all over America chose to turn Halloween into a day of sharing the love of Christ with their neighbors, instead of barring their doors to them to keep the evil out? Imagine the impact!

One day a year, people are literally knocking on our door, giving us the opportunity to sow Truth into their lives! Will we leave the porch light off and ignore the doorbell? Do you think that's what Jesus would have done? You may not agree with me, but I think Jesus would have not only opened the door, but He would have invited them in. "Let the children come to me..." (Mark 10:14)

1 comment:

brittany said...

I never thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing.